While studying Acts in the Koine, I stumbled onto a significant pattern featuring a very special word found only in the book of Acts. [See Greek below]. The apostles used similar Greek words having the same sense.
1) with one mind 2) with one accord, 3) with one passion
Whenever Luke used this word, without fail, supernatural things happened. This is significant since it’s exactly what Jesus promised would happen if his disciples obeyed his command to love one another, i.e. the world would believe their testimony (John 13: 34, 35). Moreover, in his high priestly prayer, our Lord indicated the same outcome if they fulfilled his prayer to be one as he and the Father were one. (John 17: 21, 23). We find a third connection when homothumadon is translated “in agreement.” This echoes Jesus’ promise of his special presence in Matthew 18 when his church prays “in agreement” [Greek: symphonos i.e. in harmony].
- Acts 1:14: They continued with one accord [ὁμοθυμαδόν homothumadon] in prayer and supplication,
- Acts 2: 1 And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord [ὁμοθυμαδόν]
- Acts 2: 46 And they, continuing daily with one accord [ὁμοθυμαδόν] in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, did eat their meat with gladness and singleness of heart,
- Acts 4: 24: When they heard that, they lifted up their voice to God with one accord, [ὁμοθυμαδόν] ,
- Acts 5: 12 And by the hands of the apostles were many signs and wonders wrought among the people; (and they were all with one accord [ὁμοθυμαδόν] in Solomon’s porch.
- Acts 8:6; And the people with one accord [ὁμοθυμαδόν] gave heed unto those things which Philip spoke, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did.
- Acts 15:25 It seemed good unto us, being assembled with one accord [ὁμοθυμαδόν], to send chosen men unto you with our beloved Barnabas and Paul,
Acts 1: 14 The 120 received the baptism in the Holy Spirit
Acts 2:41 Apostles gave powerful testimony, church grew from 120 to 3120;
Acts 2: 46 Church earned the respect of unbelievers and God added greatly to their number.
Acts 4: 24 The whole place was shaken Holy Spirit gave them boldness to give testimonies;
Acts 5:12 Many signs and wonders, unsaved heard and received their testimony; church growth;
Acts 8:6 Samaritans witnessed miracles and gave heed to Philip’s testimony;
Acts 15: 25 Outpouring of financial blessing to needy Jerusalem church by church in Antioch.
Let’s Put Harmony into God’s House How is your church doing? Are we experiencing the supernatural? If not, it may be because we don’t take Jesus’ command “to love one another” to heart. Or maybe we are in disagreement and disunity, rather than agreement. When we put harmony into God’s house, the Holy Spirit smiles and blesses. When we don’t he grieves.
Please comment below. It encourages us in this mission to promote Christ’s command and see his prayer “May they be One” answered. Thanks.